Tuesday, July 01, 2014
Letter from Tony Schwarm, Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital President
As the president of Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital, I wanted to take a moment to say “thank you” to our local community, as well as the patients and families who continually support us. You’ve invested in our hospital as much as we’ve invested in you.
Since 1962, our mission has been to improve the health and lives of the people in the communities we serve. Today, we remain committed to delivering the highest quality care for our patients in a comfortable environment, that’s close to home. It’s what sets us apart.
If you’re ever in need of exceptional, quality medical care, here are the top 10 reasons why you should consider Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital:
1) We’re one of the community’s largest employers with more than 400 full- and part-time employees. Combined, our payroll and benefits total $20 million.
2) We sponsor several grants that benefit the members of the community with the greatest needs, whether it be a special pair of walking shoes for a diabetic patient or custom splints for a young patient with muscular dystrophy.
3) Every year, we treat more than 20,000 patients in our emergency room and deliver an average of 300 babies.
4) We never turn anyone away in need of medical care, regardless of his or her ability to pay. In fact, we provide $1,300,000 in free medical care every month.
5) We continue to invest in our employees. It’s people who ultimately take care of patients, and as the saying goes, you’re only as good as your people. That’s why we work tirelessly to recruit the most qualified physicians and specialists.
6) Our hard work and dedication haven’t gone unnoticed. More than 60 percent of our patients rate our care and services as “excellent.”
7) Last year, Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital had the highest patient safety rating in Missouri. According to a Consumer Reports study released in July 2013, our hospital earned a safety score of 72, the highest score of all hospitals ranked in the state.
8) We regularly partner with local schools and businesses to provide medical support at sporting events and other activities.
9) We host an annual health fair, featuring health screenings and information to empower community members to improve their overall health.
10) We also provide emergency response support following major disasters, including fires, accidents, and storms.
In addition to your ongoing support, our success wouldn’t be possible without BJC and the investment they’ve made in our community. Thanks to BJC’s investment of $35 million over the course of the last 10 years, we were able to completely replace the original hospital with the beautiful, state-of-the-art facility you see today. Plus, BJC has invested not only in our facility, but also in the quality medical services we provide.
At Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital, we know you have a choice when it comes to your healthcare, and we thank you for choosing our hospital for all of your healthcare needs. And we pledge to continually improve the quality of services we provide to our patients.
We’re proud to be a part of this wonderful, tight-knit community, which has been our home for the last 52 years. Thank you again for your support as we serve you and work to “make the world’s best medicine better.”
President, Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital