Make Yourself a Priority
Physicians involved in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer at Missouri Baptist Medical Center & Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital recommend that women ages 40 and up get annual screening mammograms. Their recommendation is based on Missouri Baptist's clinical data, which shows 27.9 percent of the breast cancers diagnosed at Missouri Baptist since 2007 were in women under age 50.
Take advantage of 3D screening technology.
You now can choose to add 3D to your mammography screening. Our Mammography Department is one of only a few hospitals in Missouri to offer 3D mammography. 3D technology was approved by the FDA in 2011 and published studies show that breast cancers are often better seen in 3D because of improved resolution and visualization.
With 3D, you can benefit in so many ways:
- Finds smaller cancers sooner. As we know, finding cancers in the earliest stages increases chances of surviving it. The 3D technology helps our doctors find these sooner.
- Important for women with dense breast tissue. 3D technology allows doctors to examine breast tissue one layer at a time, in contrast to standard imaging where overlapping dense breast tissue can make it hard to see signs of early cancer.
- Reduces unnecessary callbacks. It's also proven to reduce call-back visits for additional testing when results have been unclear, because with 3D doctors have the ability to better see the fine details.
Does it take more time?
No. The 3D exam is similar to a traditional mammogram and should take approximately the same length of time.
Early detection is key
American Cancer Society guidelines
If you are 40 or over:
- Clinical breast exam every year before mammogram
- Breast self-exam every month
- Mammogram every year
If you are 20 to 39:
If you have a history of breast cancer in your family, discuss mammography screening guidelines and scheduling with your health care provider. To schedule a mammogram or other service, call 573-468-4151.