The following are some suggestions for things you may wish to bring to the hospital to make your experience at the hospital more comfortable. We suggest start packing your hospital bag in the third trimester:
- Birth Plan, insurance card, ID and any hospital paperwork you need
- Eyeglasses, if you need any. Even if you usually wear contacts, you'll probably need or want to take them out at some point during your stay.
- A bathrobe, nightgown, slippers, and a couple of pairs of socks
- Light reading materials
- Relaxing items (massage oils or lotions, music, a couple of extra pillows)
- Picture of someone or something you love (focal point)
- A phone, camera or video camera to capture the memories and stay in touch with loved ones. Make sure to remember the chargers!
- Nightgown, if you prefer to wear your own
- Nursing bra (usually necessary only for support), breast pads, and maternity underwear
- Going-home outfit. Bring something roomy and easy to get into — along with a pair of comfortable, flat shoes
- Infant car seat. You can't drive your baby home without one. Also, you'll want to have the seat properly installed ahead of time, and know how to correctly buckle in your baby.
- Picture taking outfit
- Going-home outfit (include a pair of socks if the outfit doesn't have feet)
- Receiving blanket
- Diaper Bag
If your partner or support person is planning to stay with you, don’t forget that they will also need a bag of their personal belongings.